I’m so tired of making the same dishes day in and day out, so I am always looking for quick easy meals – Quick?? Easy?? Who can say no to that right? I came upon this sausage spinach rice recipe and gave it a try tonight. It certainly was a breeze to make. The only disappointment was that there weren’t any leftovers. If doubling the recipe make sure you have enough room in your pan for the spinach (perhaps even do it in batches). It has a little kick, although my teen-son said it wasn’t spicy enough.
Anyway, here it is..Enjoy!
Gluten Free – Sausage-Spinach Rice Bowl\
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 9 ozs brown rice (cooked) I used Uncle Bens Brown Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 ozs hot Italian turkey sausage (out of the casings and broken up) – (About 3 sausage)
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 6 ozs baby spinach (fresh)
- Grated parmesan cheese (or dairy free alternative) shake on when served
Here are the basic ingredients laid out. The recipe called for Uncle Ben’s Brown pre-cooked Rice in the mircrowave bag, but it was NOT GF. Always check the labels..Always! When in doubt, google it or email/call the company directly. Uncle Bens Website is informative and under each product lists if it is gluten free and which aren’t. FYI…NONE of the pre-cooked Ready rices were listed as gluten free www.unclebens.com
Ok, Let’s get started…Do yourself a favor and prepare all your ingredients before you begin cooking, It really does make a difference. I know. I am forever grabbing and looking for something and realizing dang I don’t have that ingredient – or burn something because I have to cut veggies..Trying to practice what I preach here..haha.
1.Cook your rice and set it aside. This is probably the most time consuming. I used regular Brown Rice because I bought the packaged rice and didn’t use it. I will use the boil in the bag rice next time and see how it works. Will certainly cut down the time.
2. Heat a large skillet over med-high heat and the Oil to the pan moving the pan so it coats the bottom.
Add sausage and crushed red pepper; cook 4 minutes or until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add spinach; cook 30 seconds or until spinach begins to wilt, tossing constantly. IT WILL LOOK LIKE A LOT OF SPINACH but it will disappear before your eyes.
- Stir in rice; cook 1 minute or until heated.
Put in a bowl/plate whateva your container of choice is sprinkle with cheese and enjoy.